Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Thank you, Patsy! Here are some more thoughts about chocolate

Thank you, Patsy, for the shout-out on Housewife-Shmousewife!

I agree with your post. Chocolate is one of the finer things in life. I'm not quite as much a connoisseur as you, but my palate can certainly differentiate between cheap chocolate and the good stuff. Here are some of my thoughts on chocolate:

  • My favorite line in "Jerry Springer: The Opera" is "Dip me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians."
  • Mass manufactured chocolate bars in the US are inferior to mass manufactured chocolate bars in the UK. To wit: a British Kit Kat bar tastes much better than its US namesake. The US versions of all the Cadbury chocolate bars taste much more waxy and chalky than the same bars in the UK.
  • A Hershey Bar tastes better in the UK than it does in the US. This has nothing to do with the actual taste of the chocolate. It's because when I was a kid, you couldn't find Hershey bars in Britain. When you did, it was a symbol of your home country. That made it taste good. The actual flavor was unimportant and irrelevant. (Today, they probably have Hershey bars all over the UK. If that's the case, they probably taste terrible because there would be nothing special about finding one.)
  • I believe that it is important to try every new kind of chocolate that comes your way. Chocolate mixed with cornflakes? Chocolate and chili peppers? Chocolate and crystalized ginger? I've tried them all. So should you.
  • There are few worse feelings in the world than buying an expensive piece of chocolate with high expectations for it, and then biting into it and tasting failure.
  • We had a lot of chocolate in the house when I was growing up. My mother used to buy chocolate in bulk, melt down the chips, and make her own lollipops and other items using candy molds. I prefer her new hobby, quilting, because the results last longer and don't melt.
  • Why has no one dipped a Payday bar in chocolate? I think dark chocolate would work best.

2 comments:

PLS said...

You are welcome...
Remember the little deli in England that carried all the American products? Those folks are probably retired, living on their own island... just from the profits from those Hershey Bars!

Okay, one more goodie... Cherry Republic, their dark chocolate covered cherries!

Patsy

Sarah V. said...

Would your mom consider adopting me?