Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Some thoughts on Super Bowl XLIII


  • My boss's college roommate’s wife sang “America the Beautiful.”

  • Has Joan Jett been informed yet that "I Hate Myself for Loving You" has been ripped off for the Sunday Night Football theme song?

  • John Madden's first words of the broadcast are "I just think about futility.”

  • The Universal Studios advertisement makes me wonder what kind of terrible parents would allow their child, dressed in pajamas and wearing a towel as a cape, to run unattended through a city. Have the child protection services been informed?

  • Wait ... are we supposed to stand now for the performance of “America the Beautiful?” When did that become a rule?

  • I thought one of the US Airways crew members was carrying a life preserver. It’s actually one of those Pittsburgh Steelers Terrible Towels.

  • I heart you Jennifer Hudson. Best. Anthem. Ever.

  • Britt and I hear the jets flying over our house en route from MacDill Air Force Base to Raymond James Stadium for the flyover at the end of the Star-Spangled Banner.

  • There’s going to be a G.I. Joe film? I’m not sure how I feel about this. I think we're getting closer to the Robot Chicken prediction that every children's toy will become a movie. Prepare yourselves for "Hungry Hungry Hippos: The Motion Picture."

  • The name of the Hyundai Genesis reminds me of “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.”

  • If I married Ben Roethlisberger, I would hyphenate my last name, mainly to frustrate people. People are already pissed off when they have to spell my last name correctly. Imagine their consternation if, when they think they’ve got it complete, I say, “OK, then there’s a hyphen, then R as in Roger, O as in Ocean, E as in Echo, T as in Tango ...”

  • I would purchase an Audi if it came with Jason Statham.

  • Best. Halftime show. Ever. My only quibble: did Bruce Springsteen really feel it necessary to crotch-slam the TV audience? Couldn't he just show us a nipple or something?

  • Best. Super Bowl game. Ever. The 100-yard reception return at the end of the second quarter? Awesome!

  • Hulu's Huluwood ad with Alec Baldwin had me howling with laughter.

  • I am happy the Pittsburgh Steelers won. I really didn't want to have to listen to a victorious Kurt Warner yapping to the media.

No comments: