Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A Boston Massacre Haiku

O Crispus Attucks!
Dead, but school kids everywhere
Have to learn your name.

The Boston Massacre happened 238 years ago today.

When my family moved back to the United States, I was thrown into a history class with a dotty teacher who said we should remember Crispus Attucks' name by recalling that the snow was crisp and that the colonists were attacked by the British.

At my previous schools in Madrid and London, we were simply taught these things. The teachers didn't give us harebrained mnemonic devices so that we could recall names on standardized multiple-choice tests a few days later.

Fortunately, I was reassigned quickly to advanced placement classes. I didn't have to deal with the Hooked on Phonics syllabus for American history for too long.

No comments: