Monday, December 03, 2007

Tattoo U.

Complementary Spouse Britt Shirley and I were in Target last night when I noticed someone sporting two matching tattoos of elephant chains around his forearms. I approached the guy, explained that I liked elephants because of the University of Alabama connection (and pointed out that Britt was, in fact, wearing a Crimson Tide t-shirt) and asked if I could take a picture of the tattoos. He said OK, and explained that he got the tattoos because he's also a University of Alabama fan, and had them done while he was in the Navy.

Here's the picture:

Bama elephant tattoos

This, of course, is not the most impressive example of Alabama-related tattoos Britt and I have seen recently. That title would without a doubt go to the guy we discovered in front of Denny Chimes on the University of Alabama campus in Tuscaloosa. As you'll notice, he's got the Alabama logo tattooed on each bicep:

Now those are Bama tattoos

And, yes, this is a tattoo of the illustrious Alabama coach Bear Bryant:

Bear Bryant tattoo

Don't fail to notice the "Roll" and "Tide" tattoos on the back of this man's upper arms. I believe his forearms, which you can't see here, spell out "Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer," a school chant that's based on the name of Alabama's state bird.

As an Emory University alum, I can't quite understand the fervor that drives people to permanently mark themselves with their school mascots and football coaches. (Emory doesn't have a football team, and our mascot is a skeleton who wears a cape and a top hat.)

Perhaps I will get a temporary tattoo that says "I (heart) Coach Franchione," just to see Britt's reaction. Britt, like all Alabama football fans I have met, despises Franchione. With my luck, though, the temporary tattoo will turn out to be permanent.

No comments: