Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The NEW Dreidel Song

Last week, I scoffed (ever so politely) at a coworker who seemed genuinely surprised that her new iMac had been made in China, and not by bespectacled latte-sipping geeks in a hillside workshed in northern California.

Don't you realize that everything is made in China these days? I asked her.

How these words would come back to haunt me.

I bought a few dreidels at synagogue last weekend. This morning, I fished one of these new dreidels out of my backpack and noticed the words on the cellophane wrapper:

A dreidel made in China -- close up

A toy made in China? Haven't I read something about that in the news recently?

Seriously, I would have sworn that all dreidels were made somewhere in Israel -- even the cheap plastic ones. I'm not naive enough to believe that Jewish workers are crafting each dreidel by hand, but I never imagined that there'd be enough demand for dreidels to justify some kind of Chinese dreidle manufacturing operation.

But, Dave, don't you realize that everything is made in China these days?

Touché.

In honor of my new Chinese dreidel, I have rewritten the words to the dreidel song. Please sing along:

I have a little dreidel
It's wooden and painted.
Uh-oh -- it's made in China!
I hope it's not tainted.

Oh, dreidel, dreidel, dreidel.
I'm worried about lead.
Oh, dreidel, dreidel, dreidel,
Let's go eat instead.


A dreidel made in China

Rejected ending lines: "Let's play cards instead," and "Let's get drunk instead." I think I made the right choice. The option that involves eating is always the right one.

No comments: