Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Today's Memo: Everyone (Especially America's Sweetheart Michael Fechter)

To: Everyone (Especially America's Sweetheart Michael Fechter)
From: Dave
Date: Oct. 17
Subject: Proper spelling

As many of you know, I spent many of my formative years in the United Kingdom. As a result, you'll occasionally find a word spelled the proper English way on my blog and in my e-mail messages.

I'm not apologising.

The English have cared for their language for nearly a thousand years. Americans, it seems, have always sought new ways to muck up English.

I'm American. I've been back in the States long enough to fit in. I know to spell honor without a U, and that words that end in -ise in the UK usually end in -ize in the US.

But what's the proper way to spell all these words?

The answer lies on the other side of the Atlantic.

No comments: