Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I Want To Be A News Reporter That Interviews Baby Elephants

Mary Sheddon-Dolson-Shedden brought this book to work yesterday:

"I Want to Be a News Reporter" by Carla Greene

I haven't read it yet, but, as far as I'm concerned, this is the best book ever written about the newspaper industry. Why? BECAUSE IT'S GOT ELEPHANTS! And, as everyone knows, elephants make everything better. (Wait, no, not everything. Elephants don't improve politics or circuses -- and let's not even mention the whole ivory thing.)

Complementary Spouse Britt Shirley and I adore elephants. Elephants adorn every room of our house. Britt, a University of Alabama graduate, has been collecting elephant figurines for years. Once I suggested he might stash a few of them in the closet, or toss away the ones that were broken or held no sentimental attraction to him.

"You mean like a cull?" he said.

To this day, I'm still not sure if he was joking.

Britt and I won't travel anywhere without our stuffed elephant, Daal, and our emergency backup elephant, Little Elephant. For several years, I have been taking pictures of Daal in front of world landmarks. There are now 88 photographs in the Traveling Elephant Project, which can be viewed as a series of images, or on a world map.

Britt and I joined Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa right around the time Tamani, the baby elephant, was born. This was not a coincidence.

So, yes, you might say that Britt and I are obsessed with elephants. And when I saw Mary Sheddon-Dolson-Shedden's book yesterday, I had only one thought: When I grow up, I want to be a news reporter that interviews baby elephants.

How do I get that job?

No comments: