Monday, September 24, 2007

Happy Belated Birthday, Sarah

Happy belated birthday to Sarah Varga, one of my favorite humans and a Tribune refugee. She has been Sarah Varga for ages now, but I still think of her by her maiden name, Sarah Knupke -- pronounced Kuh-nup-kee.

John Reinan, a.k.a. Mr. Mom, once bestowed the nickname Knupcakes upon Sarah. I don't think the nickname stuck, but I always kind of liked it. Sarah is one of the sweetest people I have ever met. I love cupcakes and I love Sarah.

When Sarah got married, I started saying "Mrs. Varga, we're needed," whenever it was time for us to go to lunch. It was a reference "The Avengers," that old British TV series: secret agent John Steed would always call on his partner, Emma Peel, by saying, "Mrs. Peel, we're needed."

Sarah had no idea what I was talking about. She had never seen "The Avengers." She smiled politely when I tried to explain what the whole Steed-Peel to her. Even when I had crossed the border of nonsense and entered the realm of inanity, Sarah always made me feel special. And that's why she's one of my favorite humans, and why I love her, and why I wish her a year filled with happiness, health and prosperity.

No comments: